[arch-general] godep has been deprecated in favor of dep

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 25 14:07:34 UTC 2018

On 02/25/2018 07:42 AM, Adam Levy via arch-general wrote:
> I wrote Eli directly thanking him for the information as I had the mailing
> list digest enabled earlier and so didn't have the thread to respond to.
>
> I admit I was a little taken aback by the tone of Eli's response at first
> but I hear and understand the message and I appreciate the explanation of
> the rationale. I see that once a package is in the official report,
> removing it is not a trivial matter and very rarely would be the right
> course of action. Also I get that adding a package requires a TU to adopt
> and maintain it.
>
> I've been a daily arch user for over a year and I'm just starting to become
> active in the community. Thanks for everyone's patience as I get up to
> speed on the proper communication channels and policies.

Sorry if I came across as too harsh. :o

FWIW I think I convinced someone to adopt dep in [community] as
independent from the existence of godep it would be nice to have
valuable ecosystem tools like this.

The godep maintainer will probably want to revisit whether it is worth
maintaining this after evaluating its continued (legacy) use in the
golang ecosystem.

We seem to have a fair number of AUR packages that still require it, so
this may be complicated.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User