[arch-general] xorg-xdm changes $PATH and breaks gdbus-codegen

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 5 03:00:30 UTC 2018

On 01/04/2018 09:44 PM, Iru Cai via arch-general wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build gimp-git which launches gdbus-codegen while building.
> However, my $PATH is
> /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:..., and
> running gdbus-codegen will give the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/bin/gdbus-codegen", line 41, in <module>
>     from codegen import codegen_main
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'codegen'
>
> After some searching from the packages I've installed, I found
> "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb" in /usr/bin/xdm. I think it's xorg-xdm
> that changes $PATH.
>
> I suggest just using "PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin" in
> /etc/profile instead of using appendpath.

We changed this with deliberation and forethought, for well-thought-out
reasons that will not be reverted. See https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47884

This is manifestly a bug in xdm, which is setting a stupid $PATH. Why on
earth would we use workarounds in /etc/profile rather than fixing
something which is obviously broken?

--
Eli Schwartz