[arch-general] Possible to "inherit" from a package?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Sun Jul 22 09:42:11 UTC 2018

Am 14.07.2018 um 08:42 schrieb David Runge:
> On July 14, 2018 8:07:03 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git
>>>
>>> $ asp update
>>> $ asp checkout dovecot
>>> $ cd dovecot/trunk/
>>> $ $EDITOR PKGBUILD
>>>
>>> Assuming all make dependencies and required signatures are available
>>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^ keys ;)
>>> continue with
>>>
>>> $ makepkg -s
> I don't think Peter asked for a HOWTO on reading Ralf. No need to send three mails for that.
>
> @Peter: inheritance is not really a thing with PKGBUILDs afaik. However, you can do two things to get the desired results: Ask for inclusion of the feature with a feature request in the bug tracker or create your own local repository with precedence over the others in which you build your own version of dovecot.

I'm mostly just a user, so Ralf's hints will be useful, too. I just
installed Dovecot because of an overflow in my provider's INBOX, now I'm
hosting my mail archive locally. :)

But I'm missing searching in content - best option seems to be Solr
plugin. I wonder, how others are using Dovecot, when this configuration
parameter is usually unset.

As a user, I'm not familiar with Arch Linux bug tracker - where do I
find it?

Kind regards
Peter