[arch-general] Possible to "inherit" from a package?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 26 16:13:37 UTC 2018

On 07/26/2018 11:02 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> But I there's a package version mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
> customizepkg - with an interesting message:
>
> :: customizepkg package(s) failed to install.
> :: ensure package version does not mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
> :: ensure package name has a VCS suffix if this is a devel package
>
> Did You notice? Error message is telling the opposite ...
>
> Well, I'll have to fix the version mismatch that locally.

pacaur sucks by design, where other AUR helpers might have bugs because
they don't properly account for some edge case, pacaur has bugs because
the developer says "screw users".

The developer of pacaur has declared his motivation for that error
message to be (paraphrased) "I would like to incite AUR maintainers by
punishing users and making sure the package refuses to install with
pacaur, in the hope that pacaur users will complain on the AUR page
until the maintainer updates the .SRCINFO".

This is an aggressive overreach of what an AUR helper is meant to do.

Don't use pacaur. Any other helper you use could at least be fixed if it
does something wrong, because their developers don't *intend* to produce
incorrect behavior.

Also pacaur is officially discontinued and archived on Github.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User