[arch-general] ipv6 only half working

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 06:56:27 UTC 2018

Hi David,

> I'm having some weird problems with ipv6 on my box.

It'll never catch on.  :-)

> but w3m via ipv6 doesn't:
> [darose at darsys12 ~]$ w3m -6 -dump ipv6.google.com
> ... hangs forever ...

I suspect the difference between how well your network/ISP is copying
with TCP and UDP; HTTP connections and DNS queries.  curl(1) and w3m(1)
might achieve the same end result differently.

You can try

    strace -fe %network w3m -6 -dump ipv6.google.com

and see how far it gets.  With older strace(1), drop the `%'.
Compare with other commands that work or don't work.

As for Giancarlo's suggestion of MTU, tracepath(8) is handy for checking
that.  It has undocumented `-4' and `-6' options.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy