[arch-general] Best way to customize PS1

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 19 06:13:47 UTC 2018

On 06/19/2018 02:05 AM, Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> with the last update of bash I realized that it overwrites
> /etc/bash.bashrc without .pacsave or .pacnew. Since I had
> customizations in /etc/bash.bashrc I am wondering now where to put
> those customizations instead.

You're incorrect, use /etc/bash.bashrc

> And, by the way,  why is the bash package not making use
> of.pacsave/.pacnew. A simple "backup etc/bash.bashrc" in .PKGINFO
> would help a lot.

It is.

> There is also an old issue in the tracker talking about the
> "/etc/bash.bashrc overwrite" topic:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21540 But without solution.

The bug report was correctly closed due to, at the time, there being a
better solution.

Since that time, bash.bashrc was marked as a backup file and the
referenced bashrc.local file was removed.

This was back in 2011.

For the past 7.5 years, /etc/bash.bashrc has been the canonical place to
make custom bash-specific modifications, due to it being *correctly*
marked as a backup file. I've got no clue why you think it isn't one.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User