[arch-general] Reliability test for hard drives and SSD

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Mar 3 07:55:58 UTC 2018

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:20:51 +0300, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
>The primary aim of the project is to find drives with longest "power
>on hours" and minimal number of errors.

Pardon, but this is idiotic, since the HDDs and SSDs with the longest
power on hours and minimal number of errors are already discontinued,
if you want to buy a new drive. Your statistic at best is useful to
find out what HDDs and SSDs fail much to early, but than consider to
care about the usage. Some people turn their computers on and off
several times a day, this isn't good for a HDD, while others have got
uptimes of more than a year. Other people are maintaining SSDs with kid
gloves, OTOH other are using SSDs in the same way, as they use/d HDDs.
btw. I'm using my SSDs without kid gloves and when I wanted to order
additional SSDs of the same kind, I couldn't get them anymore, let
alone the best HDDs I every used.