[arch-general] Reliability test for hard drives and SSD

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Mar 3 08:13:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 08:55:58 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:20:51 +0300, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
>>The primary aim of the project is to find drives with longest "power
>>on hours" and minimal number of errors.
>
>Pardon, but this is idiotic, since the HDDs and SSDs with the longest
>power on hours and minimal number of errors are already discontinued,
>if you want to buy a new drive. Your statistic at best is useful to
>find out what HDDs and SSDs fail much to early, but than consider to
>care about the usage. Some people turn their computers on and off
>several times a day, this isn't good for a HDD, while others have got
>uptimes of more than a year. Other people are maintaining SSDs with kid
>gloves, OTOH other are using SSDs in the same way, as they use/d HDDs.
>btw. I'm using my SSDs without kid gloves and when I wanted to order
>additional SSDs of the same kind, I couldn't get them anymore, let
>alone the best HDDs I every used.

Not to mention what crap as e.g. GVFS does to green external HDDs :D.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi gvfs | grep Description
Description     : Dummy package

A dummy packe is required to solve insane, useless dependencies.

My external WD green drive stays asleep, it does not spin down and up
again and again. It did, before I replaced GVFS by a dummy package. GVFS
is just one HDD killer of several HDD killers.

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt-securityink,-rt,-rt-pussytoes,-rt-cornflower}
linux 4.15.6-1