[arch-general] Why no git --depth=1 option for makepkg?

Uwe Koloska kolewu at koloro.de
Sun Mar 4 17:06:04 UTC 2018

Am 04.03.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Eli Schwartz via arch-general:
> The point, is that PKGBUILDs do look for history, and make use of it --
> figuring out clever ways to avoid pulling history is completely missing
> the point that we, well, want history.

But the history is only needed for the default functions, isn't it? And
shallow clones are only needed for special repositories where a full
clone is not feasible.

So in this case it's a far better approach to provide your own functions
that don't need the whole git history, cause this has all needed changes
for this special repository inside the recipe and is not something a
user has to do.

On the other hand, it certainly doesn't make sense to use shallow copies
in general, because they raise the discussed problems for functions that
should be generally usable.

Uwe