[arch-general] Why no git --depth=1 option for makepkg?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 4 16:05:25 UTC 2018

On 03/04/2018 10:58 AM, Carsten Mattner wrote:
> At least for GitHub remotes, don't they still support checking out
> with SVN? If they do, this would be faster and use less space, too,
> when we just need a certain revision and no history at all.
>
> Other than that, I'm "pretty sure" that a git depth of 10 commits
> will work for most repositories when you clone normally, not
> shallow. Should also work for tags. However, it's true that git's
> limited depth clone isn't implemented fully. There are many unhandled
> cases and surprises.
>
> All that being said, I can report that in CI of personal and company
> projects, I haven't yet run into problems with depth=5. It speeds up
> checking out the tree, even when it's a fast local network remote.

depth=1 is perfectly okay for most travis cases, as you don't need any
history at all unless your build system looks for it... this is a
bizarre comparison.

The point, is that PKGBUILDs do look for history, and make use of it --
figuring out clever ways to avoid pulling history is completely missing
the point that we, well, want history.

depth=10 will only work for tags that are present in the last ten
commits, which unsurprisingly is exactly the opposite of most projects
(which don't have tags at all and therefore require all history without
exception in order to implement the pkgver() function) or even most
projects with tags (which don't release stable releases on basically
every other commit).

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User