[arch-general] Why no git --depth=1 option for makepkg?

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 15:58:11 UTC 2018

At least for GitHub remotes, don't they still support checking out
with SVN? If they do, this would be faster and use less space, too,
when we just need a certain revision and no history at all.

Other than that, I'm "pretty sure" that a git depth of 10 commits
will work for most repositories when you clone normally, not
shallow. Should also work for tags. However, it's true that git's
limited depth clone isn't implemented fully. There are many unhandled
cases and surprises.

All that being said, I can report that in CI of personal and company
projects, I haven't yet run into problems with depth=5. It speeds up
checking out the tree, even when it's a fast local network remote.