[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Celti Burroughs celti at celti.name
Mon Mar 12 01:51:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:04:14 +0000
Carsten Mattner via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Or I actually did post it to the list by accident.
>
> Please don't flame me for mention ZFS boot environments as a technique
> available for FOSS servers.
>
> On 3/12/18, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/11/18, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> This was a nightmare. It's not a CD problem, it's a problem with
> >> the system
> >> seeing the CD Label and/or creating the /dev/disk/by-label
> >> directory in time for the link to be created.
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > so in the end you were able to boot off usb, right?
> >
> > Also, the nightmare you had to work through can be avoided on
> > servers where you run illumos or FreeBSD by way of ZFS boot
> > environments (BE). Basically, it's like Windows style snapshots of
> > core files you can boot, in case stuff goes south.
> >
> > I didn't post this to the list, since it mentions ZFS, and that
> > alone might get some people pissed off.

I don't see why anyone should get pissed off. I mean, ArchZFS[1] is
definitely a thing that works reasonably well, and the wiki page[2]
specifically mentions boot environments and beadm.

~Celti

[1]: https://github.com/archzfs/archzfs
[2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_ZFS