[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 02:00:42 UTC 2018

On 3/12/18, Celti Burroughs via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:04:14 +0000
> Carsten Mattner via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Or I actually did post it to the list by accident.
>>
>> Please don't flame me for mention ZFS boot environments as a technique
>> available for FOSS servers.

>> > Hi David,
>> >
>> > so in the end you were able to boot off usb, right?
>> >
>> > Also, the nightmare you had to work through can be avoided on
>> > servers where you run illumos or FreeBSD by way of ZFS boot
>> > environments (BE). Basically, it's like Windows style snapshots of
>> > core files you can boot, in case stuff goes south.
>> >
>> > I didn't post this to the list, since it mentions ZFS, and that
>> > alone might get some people pissed off.
>
> I don't see why anyone should get pissed off. I mean, ArchZFS[1] is
> definitely a thing that works reasonably well, and the wiki page[2]
> specifically mentions boot environments and beadm.

I'm happy to hear that. My rationale is based on past observations
of needlessly heated arguments and ZFS, due to its license splitting
the Linux community in half, appearing to be perfect fuel for such
a thread.

Thanks for the wiki links. Never used ZFS on Linux because I avoid
out of kernel patches. Maybe I will give it a try on Linux as well.