[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 12 21:29:12 UTC 2018

On 03/11/2018 10:00 PM, Carsten Mattner via arch-general wrote:
> I'm happy to hear that. My rationale is based on past observations
> of needlessly heated arguments and ZFS, due to its license splitting
> the Linux community in half, appearing to be perfect fuel for such
> a thread.
>
> Thanks for the wiki links. Never used ZFS on Linux because I avoid
> out of kernel patches. Maybe I will give it a try on Linux as well.

Well yes, the main reason people get heated about it I think is because
it is out-of-tree kernel modules and as such are less reliably stable or
some such.

Based on how well archzfs keeps their binary repos up to date, I'm not
100% convinced on the stability. Moreso consider that it's difficult to
bootstrap a system without zfs available, and if their binary repo does
not match the current archiso...

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User