[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 13 14:39:58 UTC 2018

On 03/13/2018 09:47 AM, Leonid Isaev via arch-general wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 09:41:46AM -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> On 03/13/2018 12:30 AM, John Ramsden via arch-general wrote:
>>> Actually, you can easily create an arch ISO with ZFS embedded into
>>> it. It's what I do, and it takes about five minutes to create.
>>>
>>> https://ramsdenj.com/2016/06/23/arch-linux-on-zfs-part-1-embed-zfs-in-archiso.html
>>
>> Yes, and it also requires an Arch system (or at least one with pacman
>> available) to run mkarchiso, pacstrap, copy the initcpio configs from
>> mkinitcpio, etc. Which is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, and I
>> don't really consider this a viable generic solution...
>
> Can't this be done from any distro using Arch rootfs?

Like I said, this can be done from any system which has pacman and
mkinitcpio available. That means:

1) Arch Linux
2) Gentoo, which has a pacman package and IIRC also provides mkinitcpio
   as an option alongside dracut.
3) Any Linux distribution if you have chrooted into the bootstrap image
4) Windows (or any operating system, really), by using a virtual machine

Certainly, anything is *possible* if you put in enough work. But making
something annoyingly difficult to do is, as I said, hardly a generic
solution.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User