[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:51:01 UTC 2018

On 3/13/18, Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Like I said, this can be done from any system which has pacman and
> mkinitcpio available. That means:
>
> 1) Arch Linux
> 2) Gentoo, which has a pacman package and IIRC also provides mkinitcpio
>    as an option alongside dracut.
> 3) Any Linux distribution if you have chrooted into the bootstrap image
> 4) Windows (or any operating system, really), by using a virtual machine
>
> Certainly, anything is *possible* if you put in enough work. But making
> something annoyingly difficult to do is, as I said, hardly a generic
> solution.

True and Alpine Linux supports (3.5) ZFS on install which I didn't confirm
because, like I said, I don't use ZFS on Linux. I mean that if Arch
ZFS developers want to, they can leverage work from other distros.
I guess it's a good thing Arch has no installer or otherwise there
might be a heated debate whether ZFS should be an option :).