[arch-general] Keyboard issue with kernel 4.15.5 (possible Arch issue?)

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 06:48:04 UTC 2018

On 3/14/18, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> As a real-time audio user, too, be sure, I'm as well using a PS/2
> keyboard. A PS/2 keyboard should work. However, from time to time it

I'm so glad to hear there are other PS/2 keyboard proponents.

USB kinda, sorta works but the bus nature of it, and having
more than two devices connected, it means there's intermittent
bus resets and ports disabled by kernel until reboot if it's
those kind of days.

> could happen, that the keyboard's lock LEDs start blinking during
> startup and startup doesn't finish, but the messages don't show a
> kernel panic or something keyboard related. If this happens, I just
> need to reset the computer, a second startup always worked for me.
> assuming your keyboard should be broken, they still sell brand new
> native PS/2 keyboards in all price ranges. Due to the USB keyboard
> issues PS/2 keyboards are seemingly much more important to gamers, than
> for real-time audio users.

Is it still native when connected with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter?

I'm asking because it's very limiting when you shop around
for a keyboard with a "pure" PS/2 connector. It's already hard
to find an ergonomic keyboard that has mechanical switches,
and insisting on non-USB shrinks the list, leaving not much
of a selection.

> Btw. "core" provides 4.15.8. I already upgraded to 4.15.8 early Monday
> morning and FWIW I skipped 4.15.5 and upgraded from 4.15.4-1 to
> 4.15.6-1, so I don't know if something is fishy with 4.15.5.

What was wrong with 4.15.5? I missed the news.