[arch-general] Keyboard issue with kernel 4.15.5 (possible Arch issue?)

rv riveravaldez riveravaldezmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:44:59 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:25 AM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 06:48:04 +0000, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>>Is it still native when connected with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter?
>
> I don't know, I even don't know what is true and what are untrue myths
> about PS/2 vs USB keyboards. However, since I have the choice to use
> PS/2 keyboards with the keys I like, for the same ammount of money as
> USB keyboards do cost, I don't want to test USB keyboards, even if they
> provide the same kind of keys.
>
> The myth important to me is, that if I don't touch the keyboard using a
> PS/2 keyboard, it doesn't actively communicate with the computer, while
> the myth claims, that USB does enforce communication between keyboard
> and computer from time to time, even if you don't type, which might
> be an issue for real-time audio users.
>
> A myth unimportant to me is the way keystrokes are handled/registered,
> by an USB keyboard probaply just a limited amont of keys could be
> pushed at the same time and/or there is more latency and/or if you type
> fast, the keyboard might not keep up, which seems to be important for
> gamers or people who type really fast.
>
> There are also some myth regarding security for some kinds of usages.
>
> In short, as long as you could get a "native" PS/2 keyboard with the
> kinds of keys you like, for an ammount of money that is ok, I wouldn't
> risk to buy an USB keyboard.

BTW, in some cases, in desktop machines, at boot time, you can find
yourself with a BIOS that doesn't take USB keyboards by default (or at
all), and then you're pretty much done...
Sometimes you can set the BIOS for USB keyboards, but only with a PS/2
in advance.
I always prefer PS/2 keyboards. There're various reasons.