[arch-general] Re-install of Arch on a larger drive

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Mar 18 00:09:46 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 05:25:36PM -0400, Trey Sizemore via arch-general wrote:

> pacman -Qqe > pkglist.txt
>
> and then on the new install, I can use the pkglist.txt generated
> previously to:
>
> pacman -S - < pkglist.txt
>
> In addition, by backing up and migrating much of my /home partition (to
> include 'hidden' config files, anything else I could do to make the
> process fast and as close to the current install as possible?

The trick with pkglist may work, but I never tried it.

If you do a fresh install, you can copy over you /home partition
and any others that only contain user data and nothing related
to the system.

To save some download time, and assuming your current system is
up to date, you can copy /var/cache/pacman/pkg to your new system
after the basic install (just before you do the pacman -Syu and
eventually pacman -S - < pkglist.txt).

Ciao,

--
FA