[arch-general] Re-install of Arch on a larger drive

lists at tun0.de lists at tun0.de
Sun Mar 18 10:20:03 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 06:40:33PM -0400, Trey Sizemore via arch-general wrote:
>Thanks Jens.  But does the fact that I'm going from a 250GB to 500GB
>(and different partition sized) complicate this procedure?

Absolutely not.

You are going to partition the new drive (and possibly create the LUKS
container, and/or LVM) according to the increased capacity of the new
drive. Then, you'll copy only the contents of the old file systems over
to the new file systems while preserving all attributes (the rsync flags
are important). Thus, the target file systems on the new drive can be
bigger or even smaller, dependent only on the data volume stored on your
existing file systems.

I linked to the wiki page previously because all steps of the procedure
are covered by it, somewhere.