[arch-general] Curious about arch repository policy

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Mar 27 20:22:04 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-27 22:13, Leonid Isaev via arch-general wrote:

> But I thought [core] was supposed to be self-contained, or it only used to be?

Not sure about the history here, but given the fact that most systems
are bootstrapped from e.g. a cross-compiler, I don't think there's any
real system that's self-contained these days.

(That's not to say that it doesn't matter *at all* what's required, but
it makes a lot of sense to separate "build system" dependencies from the
runtime dependencies.)

Cheers,