[arch-general] scsi_mod.use_blk_mq (revisited)

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Fri May 11 10:37:46 UTC 2018

On 11-05-18 06:57, Randy DuCharme via arch-general wrote:
> Greetings again,
>
> I've been continuing to fool with this.  I'm hoping someone smarter than I
> can shed a little more light on it.  Here's what I've discovered since my
> last post.....
>
> It seems that on my system, it takes more than the allowed 10 seconds for
> the disks to appear.  I removed "quiet" from my boot command line and it
> timed out looking for UUID=xxxx..... .  So I looked for it and it
> definitely was not there.  None of the sdXx devices were.  I looked again,
> and yet again (ls /dev/sd*) and after about the 3rd or 4th attempt they
> showed up.  So then, I mounted /dev/sdc3 to /new_root/, typed 'exit' and
> after a warning about possibly failing to run as a user instance, it booted.
>
> Any clues as to why this occurs?  I'm trying to find a way to increase the
> pre-boot disk probe timer if possible.  So far, all I've found are tips
> about speeding up the boot process, not slowing it down.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

In order for your drives to be detected the kernel modules needed by the
hardware must be loaded and active.
Your description matches a situation where some needed module is loaded
too late in the boot process.

Use lspci -k to determine which kernel modules are needed for your sata
/ raid controllers and add that one to the modules= line in
mkinitcpio.conf .
Incase it's unclear which module is needed, try the one that handles the
boot parameter (scsi_mod) .

LW