[arch-general] Updating linux-lts initcpios... error: command failed to execute correctly

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 7 15:19:09 UTC 2018

On 11/7/18 10:06 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
>> $ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/initcpio/
>> /usr/lib/initcpio/ is owned by archiso 39-1
>
> Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to use -Qo on a directory before.

It's pretty nifty, yeah. Manpage and --help output does say "file(s)",
though -- maybe we should change that.

>> Well, the log only contains a copy of the output from the hook which
>> you can look up after the fact, so it definitely won't have *more*
>> input.
>
> Understood.  I was thinking along the lines of how a ./configure writes
> to an agreed file descriptor other than stdout/stderr for more verbose
> detail, that kind of thing, but there weren't extra messages to record
> anyway given below suggests it's a SIGPIPE.  Would the exit status of
> the hook have reflected that signal by being 128+13?

Yes, pacman just checks if the exit status of the hook was something
indicating an error.

>> As for logging the failure of the hook to complete, I guess you could
>> open a ticket on the bugtracker for this
>
> Okay.  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60735

Thanks. <3

>> This looks like it is another occurrence of
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60396
>
> It's very likely.  I know I did maximise the X terminal part-way through
> pacman's run to unwrap lines.
>
>> To test...
>
> I'll skip that, sorry.  Way behind with life as it is at the moment.
> I've looked at the bug report and the patch and it seems sound.

Sure, I wasn't expecting problems -- it's been tested already. :)

But of course you are free to use my git repo either way -- it's
verified by my packaging key already, it contains cool new features, and
I am good about keeping it up to date.

Anyway, it's planned to be added to a maintenance release for pacman
5.1.2, hopefully soon.

>>> And after that, is attempting another build of the image as simple
>>> as `/usr/bin/mkinitcpio -p linux-lts' as root?
>
> I did this and it seems to have gone well.

Forgot to mention, but yeah, running the command that the hook was
supposed to run, will usually work. :D

If it doesn't work, it would be because the hook specifies NeedsTargets
and therefore expects to receive a list of files on standard input,
listing the files which triggered the hook.

> Thanks for the prompt answers.

No problem! :)

--
Eli Schwartz