[arch-general] Updating linux-lts initcpios... error: command failed to execute correctly

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 7 23:16:15 UTC 2018

On 11/7/18 5:46 PM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi leoutation,
>
>>> This morning's `pacman -Su' had a problem building the fallback
>>> initcpio
>>
>> Right command is pacman -Syu
>
> Not in my case as I've previously done a `pacman -Syuw' during `free
> bandwidth' hours, thanks to cron.  Later on, when I'm at the keyboard
> and it's a convenient time for breakage, I upgrade to what's already
> been downloaded manually and definitely don't want `-y'.  :-)

That's dangerous because you could forget and run pacman -S pkgname. Not
saying you would, and in fact I've done -Sywu all the time myself...

But, just because I do it doesn't mean I should. ;)

Instead, I eventually did some fiddling with the checkupdates script,
which can be seen here:
https://git.archlinux.org/users/eschwartz/pacman-contrib.git/commit/?id=80be77ce7d3e1ba8eee42c56623e01f0c45235cd

This will eventually make its way to pacman-contrib upstream, but it's
pending some pacman changes which are still in git and only very
recently landed.

In the meantime you can also use
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/cacheupdates

Just run cacheupdates the way you'd run checkupdates, but if you specify
the argument "-d" (or "--download") then it will also try to download
any pending updates into the cache, still using the temporary copy of
the syncdbs.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User