[arch-general] Can I prevent Pacman from running hooks?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:12:11 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018, 10:15 Doug Newgard via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Some hooks take into account the specific files that were installed, so you
> cannot run them later.

I am aware of that. This is an optimization that avoids running hooks
needlessly. All the hooks I read so far are safe to run at any time.

Why not just install everything at once?

I run a immutable and stateless setup. So I can not actually update systems
(they are immutable after all). So I end up having my CI generate images
for my systems every couple of hours. Those will then replace the images I
run eventually, getting me to a new updated system state.

The CI builds a very basic system and configured that. It then creates more
specialized systems based on that base image (e.g. one for VMs, one for
containers and another one for bare metal). It then continues to Branch out
from those till all the actual systems I want to install are reached.
Overall this approach (somewhat I spired by docker files) saves a lot of
time over just creating each system from scratch and it also makes sure all
systems have the same basic features: They all I before them from a common
base after all.

It would suffice to run all hooks in the leaves of the tree of systems
(just before writing the actual HDD image files) and skip them for all
others.

Best Regards,
Tobias