[arch-general] Can I prevent Pacman from running hooks?

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Sat Oct 13 12:25:33 UTC 2018

On 13/10/2018 13:12, Tobias Hunger via arch-general wrote:
> I run a immutable and stateless setup. So I can not actually update systems
> (they are immutable after all). So I end up having my CI generate images
> for my systems every couple of hours. Those will then replace the images I
> run eventually, getting me to a new updated system state.

As a slight side-step, might it be possible to generate the images in a
ramdisk/tmpfs? That should remove disk I/O as a bottleneck.

Another option, given you know the expected end state, could be to
bypass pacman and extract the package file content into place directly
(e.g. with tar), then run whatever hooks you want afterwards. Yes, you'd
lose package management within the images but that doesn't matter with
an immutable image. (Though, there may be side-effects I haven't
considered here.)