[arch-general] Reboot-less Computers

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Oct 28 22:47:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 05:43:28PM +0100, Jayesh Badwaik via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I am looking at possibilities to have a setup which does not need to be
> restarted at all and can be live patched. I have seen this old post:

I think that if your system is important enough that it shall never go
down even for a few minutes, what you really want is additional
redundancy in form of a high availability setup. Your hardware and
software can fail at any time and then it doesn't matter if you can
hotpatch your kernel or not. If you have a HA system, it doesn't matter
if you reboot or not because the other node(s) take(s) care of the work
for the time being.

Also sometimes the power fails and if you don't reboot your machines
regularly, they may not come back on after that (ask any bigger data
center). If you reboot regularly, chances are higher that you spread out
any problems and resolve them before all machines are rebooted at once.

If you want to do it for science, all I can say is that I think there are
more interesting/important problems than this, but YMMV.

Well, and then there's the issue that you need to specifically create
the patches and that you can't patch everything because that's just way
too much work, but that has already been mentioned by others in this
thread.

Florian