[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Andy Pieters arch-general at andypieters.me.uk
Mon Sep 17 16:46:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Peter Nabbefeld <peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 17.09.18 um 17:48 schrieb Carsten Mattner via arch-general:
> > On 9/17/18, Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> So essentially what you really want is a way for pacman to remember your
> >> choice. That would require pacman modify its configuration which is
> >> something that goes against the current architecture... What would happen
> >> instead is pacman.conf could be used to configure this.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if IgnorePkg or HoldPkg would have an effect here...
> > The way I read it, what's being suggested is something like Debian's
> > update-alternatives. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives
> >
> > Or a JVM version manager ala pyenv etc. Not sure.
>
> Yes and No. These tools allow switching the active JVM. In my case that
> would be overkill, I don't need that. I only need the installed software
> to be reachable from NetBeans IDE. I'm usually fine running my software
> on the latest JDK version - I only need other JDKs for compatibility
> testing, and that's most comfortable using an IDE.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Peter
Your best bet would be to download the PKGBUILD file and rename the
package name. You'll probably need to make a few other changes as well
as often the package name is used to download the package etc.

Update the provides,conflicts as needed

Now you'll have a package that can coexists with all the others and
pacman won't even ask to upgrade it.