[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Mon Sep 17 16:33:57 UTC 2018

Am 17.09.18 um 17:48 schrieb Carsten Mattner via arch-general:
> On 9/17/18, Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> So essentially what you really want is a way for pacman to remember your
>> choice. That would require pacman modify its configuration which is
>> something that goes against the current architecture... What would happen
>> instead is pacman.conf could be used to configure this.
>>
>> I'm not sure if IgnorePkg or HoldPkg would have an effect here...
> The way I read it, what's being suggested is something like Debian's
> update-alternatives. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives
>
> Or a JVM version manager ala pyenv etc. Not sure.

Yes and No. These tools allow switching the active JVM. In my case that
would be overkill, I don't need that. I only need the installed software
to be reachable from NetBeans IDE. I'm usually fine running my software
on the latest JDK version - I only need other JDKs for compatibility
testing, and that's most comfortable using an IDE.

Kind regards

Peter