[arch-general] MariaDB package version

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Thu Sep 27 13:36:44 UTC 2018

On 9/27/18 7:04 AM, leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:

>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>
> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs

The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
- but I didn't find a list of which client programs.

Given how long this has been, I would like to suggest that the problem
lies with the clients at this juncture and not with mariadb.

I see 3 basic options to choose from for each offending client package:

    (i) Drop client
   (ii) Compile the client statically linked
        ( removes the need to provide and older mariadb. )
  (iii) Provide 2 mariadb packages
        Current and the older one needed for the clients to run using
shared libraries.

Hard to say without knowing which clients. And I don't know how much
work keeping both versions might be. This seems a bit similar to the
python situation where we still seem to have couplings to python 2.

Does anyone have a list of the 'problematic clients' so a reasonable
decision can be made how to move forward and update mariadb?

Eli how do you think we should proceed at this point?

thanks!

gene