[arch-general] MariaDB package version

ProgAndy admin at progandy.de
Thu Sep 27 13:57:52 UTC 2018

Am 27.09.18 um 15:36 schrieb Genes Lists via arch-general:
> On 9/27/18 7:04 AM, leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
>
>>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>>
>> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
>> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>
> The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
> - but I didn't find a list of which client programs.
>
> Given how long this has been, I would like to suggest that the problem
> lies with the clients at this juncture and not with mariadb.
>
> I see 3 basic options to choose from for each offending client package:
>
>    (i) Drop client
>   (ii) Compile the client statically linked
>        ( removes the need to provide and older mariadb. )
>  (iii) Provide 2 mariadb packages
>        Current and the older one needed for the clients to run using
> shared libraries.
>

> Hard to say without knowing which clients. And I don't know how much
> work keeping both versions might be. This seems a bit similar to the
> python situation where we still seem to have couplings to python 2.
>
> Does anyone have a list of the 'problematic clients' so a reasonable
> decision can be made how to move forward and update mariadb?
>
> Eli how do you think we should proceed at this point?
>

> thanks!
>
> gene

Hello,

I just looked at the sources for libmariadb (Connector/C) and it seems
that there is an option to build it with compatibility symlinks for
libmysqlclient: WITH_MYSQLCOMPAT.
I am not sure which sonames are provided for compatibility, but
according to mariadb.org the client library should always be binary
compatible with the corresponding mysql release. Did anyone test if
there are still incompatible clients with the most recent mariadb release?

I have a fourth option if the symlinks cause problems.

(iv) Ship mariadb with libmariadb only and provide an
     additional libmysqlclient package that contains a
     compiled copy of the real libmysqlclient.

--
Andreas