[arch-general] steam-native can't find libpcre.so.3, breaks embedded browser

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Thu Apr 4 17:11:07 UTC 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 15:40, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Em abril 4, 2019 0:25 Alexandre Oliveira via arch-general escreveu:
> > It seems like the steam-native package is broken as of March 21,
> > according to this bug report[1].
> >
> > Installing libselinux and pcre seems to fix the issue. I don't know if
> > it's a good idea to write about it here, but I'd like to get this patch
> > mainstreamed, instead of having to install another package to workaround
> > this bug.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62095?project=5&string=steam-native-runtime
> >

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> As I have just commented on the bug, I cannot reproduce this bug. And I use steam on an
> almost daily basis.
>
> It looks like it's a bug on upstream steam and does not affect all users. Even though we
> can patch things on occasion to fix broken packages, we tend to wait for upstream fixes
> if the issue is not critical or a fix already exists.

Are you sure you're running steam-native? I get the exact same issue
with `steam-native`, while `steam` has a working browser (but some
games have other issues). It seems unlikely to me that steam would
require libpcre.so.3 only for some users but not for others.

While it is definitely a problem caused by upstream, they officially
only support some Ubuntu distributions. There's no guarantee that
steam will solve this on their end.

> Also, the patch you referred to, is not an actual patch, just a package that creates an
> ugly fix, by creating a symlink to libpcre. That's not the right way to fix this issue.

A better fix is mentioned on the steam forum [1] by a WorMzy:
> $ export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0"
> $ steam-native

Apparently those libraries still come from the steam distribution,
even with steam-native, and those pull in libpcre.so.3 and
libselinux.so.1. Preloading the system versions avoids that.

[1] https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/1848072002764995823/#c1769259642875894556