[arch-general] steam-native can't find libpcre.so.3, breaks embedded browser

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Thu Apr 4 17:33:59 UTC 2019

Em abril 4, 2019 14:11 Maarten de Vries escreveu:

> Are you sure you're running steam-native? I get the exact same issue
> with `steam-native`, while `steam` has a working browser (but some
> games have other issues). It seems unlikely to me that steam would
> require libpcre.so.3 only for some users but not for others.

Yes, I am sure. But to be double sure I've ran it from the shell. No issues with the store page.

> While it is definitely a problem caused by upstream, they officially
> only support some Ubuntu distributions. There's no guarantee that
> steam will solve this on their end.

If we can argue, I don't see why they wouldn't.

>> Also, the patch you referred to, is not an actual patch, just a package that creates an
>> ugly fix, by creating a symlink to libpcre. That's not the right way to fix this issue.
>
> A better fix is mentioned on the steam forum [1] by a WorMzy:
>> $ export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0"
>> $ steam-native
>
> Apparently those libraries still come from the steam distribution,
> even with steam-native, and those pull in libpcre.so.3 and
> libselinux.so.1. Preloading the system versions avoids that.
>
> [1] https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/1848072002764995823/#c1769259642875894556

Now a patch I can agree on. Given that steam-runtime is all about LD preloading stuff, there
would be the place to fix this, if we can't get this fixed upstream.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini