[arch-general] Problems compiling big projects from AUR

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 10:25:40 UTC 2019

Hi Jeanette,

> I notice that the AUR compile seems to go quicker.
> The thing that happens is for the AUR build process to swap massive
> amounts of data, grinding the system almost to a halt and finally
> failing without much of a reason. Nothing typically source code or
> linkage related.

So an AUR build goes quicker, but swaps a lot, and grinds almost to a
halt?  By quicker, do you mean it makes quicker progress before the
swap-grinding occurs?

> Any ideas?

Watching `dstat -pcdngsy' would show if many processes are in the run
queue, whether it's CPU bound or waiting for I/O, the amount of paging
it's doing, and how much swap is used.

Is it possible you haven't disabled the `-j', e.g. `MAKEFLAGS' in
/etc/makepkg.conf?

--
Cheers, Ralph.