[arch-general] Firefox-71.0-1 breaks WhatsApp Web

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 9 16:23:56 UTC 2019

On 12/9/19 11:01 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> On 12/9/19 6:48 AM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
>> You should not upgrade the firefox package while it's open. That's a
>> lesson I've
>> learned when I've also lost a profile. Everytime you see firefox in
>> the upgrade
>> packages list, I suggest you close it and then upgrade.
>
> IMHO, you really shouldn't upgrade any package while it's running.  I
> always use "pacman -Syuw" to download all needed updates, then drop into
> single user mode to actually install everything with "pacman -Su". Seems
> like that would be a best practice to me.

You can use `checkupdates -d` to download packages using a temporary
database, thus avoiding:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Avoid_certain_pacman_commands

Which may lead to accidental cases of:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported