[arch-general] pambase update now requires explicit service files in /etc/pam.d/ - dovecot affected

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 15:56:24 UTC 2019

Hi WorMzy,

> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1831377 is a recent
> > thread on this pambase change causing problems.  Apparently, I
> > hijacked it so it's now closed.  But I'm pleased I did because
> > others that arrive there from Google, like I did, will now have the
> > trail I laid to follow.
>
> Please lose that mentality.

It's not a mentality, but my subjective opinion borne from experience,
and one backed up by an email thanking me from someone that Google later
led there.

> Just because $searchengine

Not any search engine, the search engine.

> returns a thread that contains one or more of the keywords you entered
> in the search box, does not mean that you automatically get a free
> pass to dump your own issue into the thread.

It was a thread on exactly the same topic: pambase's recent ditching of
a fallback configuration, presumably knowing it would impact packages
and their users.  If I turned up there, others would, and did.

> In this case you had no interest in helping the OP, you just wanted a
> platform to share your own grievances relating to the recent pambase
> change,

I aired no grievance.  Read it again.  I asked questions to try and get
an idea of the impact of the pambase change and to ask if I was
interpreting an above poster correctly, giving a pipeline to show how I
was grokking it.

> and draw attention to an issue with particular importance to yourself.
> To then try to pass this off as philanthropy is obscene.

I think you're just upset because of the implicit criticism of your
decision to close the thread, or you need to better understand the
meaning of `obscene'.

> Don't be surprised if, the next time you pull this sort of stunt, you
> find yourself banned from the bbs.

It wasn't a stunt.  You seem lacking in some essential qualities of a
moderator, like moderation.

--
Cheers, Ralph.