[arch-general] pambase update now requires explicit service files in /etc/pam.d/ - dovecot affected

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 24 20:02:23 UTC 2019

On 2/8/19 2:20 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> All,
>
>   With the latest change to pambase, e.g.
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/pambase&id=3552aba772e8bebbe754a4d01f2729e291dd2070
>
> if you have services that rely on pam authentication, such as dovecot, etc..,
> you will find that your applications an no longer authenticate using pam until
> you install a specific pam service in /etc/pam.d for that application, e.g.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dovecot#PAM_Authentication
>
>   I recall seeing something about this change coming earlier, but this was the
> first update where something stopped working as a result. So add whatever
> additional files you require to /etc/pam.d/
>
>   Thankfully the journal messages are good in pointing out the problem.

I wish someone had submitted a bug about this in the first place as this
should never have been relegated to thirdparty configuration performed
only after reading the wiki. I did not realize there was no bug report
for this... well, now there is one: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61852

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User