[arch-general] HTTP spam from China

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:39:31 UTC 2019

On 02/26/2019 06:40 AM, Juha Kankare via arch-general wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of connections from China it seems. Whenever I check
> my journalctl, it's an andless wall of nginx complaints about a single
> ip spamming requests fro different php files. This happens with hundreds
> of ip's, and tens of times daily. Has anyone else been hit by this. I
> already made a shellscript to block all connections from China, but I'm
> curious as to why this happens, and if anyone else has had the same
> problem.

I take the sledge-hammer approach and simply block the entire APNIC and
AFRINIC IP blocks and a good portion of RIPE with ip-tables. Dramatically
reduces the amount of mischief coming from the internet. Then whitelist
specific IPs if needed for some individual package. Not optimal, but very,
very effective. Top 2 offenders are RIPE, China ranks number 3 and India
provides an impressive number 4 from 45.112.0.0/12 alone.

      My Top-20 Offenders are:

         Chain  INPUT
          pkts  bytes     Source

     1   99639  5901K     185.0.0.0/8