[arch-general] VirtualBox 6 on 4.20 - Anybody seeing guests become unresponsive after several hours?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:24:58 UTC 2019

All,

  I have a number of virtualbox guests I run from my Arch host and have for a
number of years. Since update to Virtualbox 6.0 (using the following AUR packages)

  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtualbox-bin/
  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtualbox-ext-oracle/

after the guests have been running for several hours, they become totally
unresponsive (both Linux and Windows guests). To the point that typing 'ls'
results in nothing but echoing back the path where the command lives.

  $ ls
  /usr/bin/ls ....

  Shutting down the desktop and moving back to the normal terminal where
login: is display, attempting to login by entering a username and pressing
enter does nothing but timeout and spit the uname information back to the
screen and redisplay the login prompt.

  Regardless of guest type, a hard poweroff is required to shutdown, as the
guest is otherwise unresponsive.

  VBoxManage controlvm "name" poweroff

is required to actually terminate the guest. Restarting appears to go just
fine. Looking at the virtualbox logs, there really isn't anything telling.
There are a couple of VBVA and VRDP messages about display size and color
depth, but nothing that stands out as an error. Nothing in the journal of the
host that points to anything wrong.

  Has anyone else seen this with VB 6 (either the Arch or AUR packages)?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.