[arch-general] X logs me out from tty on close

Ali Emre Gülcü aliemreglc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:21:40 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, 12:23 Ismael Bouya <ismael.bouya at normalesup.org wrote:

> (Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:16:20PM +0300) Ali Emre Gülcü via arch-general :
> > Hello everyone,
> > I had a rather interesting problem recently. I dont have any display
> > manager and I open desktop environment from tty when needed. Previously
> > when I logged out from Xfce or closed down X server, it would put me back
> > on my tty session. Now when I do the same, it also logs me out from tty
> and
> > I must login again. Is this the expected behaviour after some xorg or
> > kernel update? Or did I mess up something? I tried with both `startx` and
> > `startxfce4`. And to be sure that this is not an driver related problem,
> > also tried with `nvidia-xrun`, same results.
>
> Hi Ali,
> To me it sounds rather like your session exists now with a killall
> instead of <something else that only kills the startx process> before.
>
> Did you change something related to that recently? You could try to
> check that hypothesis (I don’t know exactly how, maybe running some
> additional forked process in your initrc and see if it gets killed when
> you exit?).
>
> --
> Ismael

Hello, thanks for your reply, but I don't know how to try that neither,
still looking into it. Also this is a fresh install and almost all files
are default. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is auto-generated at install with some
xterms and an xclock, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf was non-existent (later
generated with nvidia-xconfig to try with nvidia-xrun). Another observation
is even when x fails to initialize or force closed by pkill, same thing
happens.