[arch-general] X logs me out from tty on close

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 10 12:47:15 UTC 2019

> Hello, thanks for your reply, but I don't know how to try that neither,
> still looking into it. Also this is a fresh install and almost all files
> are default. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is auto-generated at install with some
> xterms and an xclock, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf was non-existent (later
> generated with nvidia-xconfig to try with nvidia-xrun). Another observation
> is even when x fails to initialize or force closed by pkill, same thing
> happens.

I think you just proved my hypothesis wrong :)
If I understand correctly, your environment is a single terminal + a clock?
if so, then exiting the terminal should bring you back to the console.

Other questions that could help investigate:
- How do you start the startx command?
- Do you have maybe an .xinitrc in your home?
- startx is normally just a wrapper around xinit, could you maybe look
  at your process list and see what arguments are given to xinit? That
  could help investigate.
  xinit itself takes arguments of the form
    xinit [client] -- [server]
  where server is the part to start the X11 server and client is the
  script to run as user. This is the part that determines what is
  started (not /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which is normally given by startx
  as a fallback)
--
Ismael