[arch-general] [Xfce-terminal] Cannot remove entries from history

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Fri Jan 11 10:42:24 UTC 2019

Am 11.01.19 um 11:14 schrieb Ralph Corderoy:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> After removing entries from the history (using "history -d" or
>> "history -c"), the entries are obviously buffered. When I close the
>> terminal and the open another, the history is available again
> Do you have a .bash_history file in your home directory.  Does it gain
> new lines at the bottom as you enter commands in a terminal?  Or only
> when the terminal exits?  Do those lines include test ones that you've
> deleted?

Yes, thank You, Ralph. Indeed, I forgot about that, as I'm usually not
changing that. IMHO it's nevertheless a bad concept those removed
commands are still stored inside this file. In my case, the problem was
my sudo password, which I accidently typed in because sudo timeout had
not yet been reached.

Kind regards

Peter