[arch-general] [Xfce-terminal] Cannot remove entries from history

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jan 11 23:35:00 UTC 2019

On 01/11/2019 05:00 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> Hm, I guess it's because it has been saved once (by closing the tab)

If you have more than one tab open (e.g. you have several terminals open in
tabs -- like you can do in konsole in KDE), then the buffering of history is
handled in an application specific way (you only have one ~/.bash_history
file, but you have multiple terminals open that feed information to it)

When you need to modify your ~/.bash_history content, I generally close all
apps that have a terminal and just use a single xterm to manipulate the
history file. You can actually write your history file out to a separate text
file, remove entries, and then read it back in as your history.

see the -w and -r options to history in man bash.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.