[arch-general] Where does /usr/bin/uwsgi come from?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Wed Jan 23 18:54:23 UTC 2019

Am 23.01.19 um 18:56 schrieb Daniel Sonck via arch-general:
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:03:05 PM CET Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>> BTW, I've "pipped" some python modules, including django, without exact
>> knowledge what's imported - is it possible to import such executables
>> this way?
>>
>> P.
>>
>> Am 23.01.19 um 16:57 schrieb Peter Nabbefeld:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I've got sth. strange:
>>> I wanted to install the "uwsgi" package, but the binray is already
>>> installed. "pacman -Qo uwsgi" results in "No package owns
>>> /usr/bin/uwsgi" (German: "Kein Paket besitzt /usr/bin/uwsgi").
>>>
>>> So, why is it on my laptop? I'd guess it's probably been installed at
>>> some time with apache httpd but has been removed later, but don't
>>> know. Anybody knows about such an issue?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Peter
> Installing by pip is generally not a good idea as it bypasses the package
> manager which can lead to conflicts when you want the official package. You
> can install django by installing python-django.
>
> If the package you want is not available in the repositories or AUR, you might
> want to use one of the "python environment" wrappers. This allows you to
> create an isolated python install where you can safely install things with
> pip. In addition this allows you to "lock" to specific versions if you need
> this.
>
> According to the wiki, the uwsgi executable can be installed through the same-
> named package, so it seems that you most likely accidentally installed it from
> source.
>
> Daniel

In the meantime, I've checked all python folders - no uwsgi found.
Checked /var/cache/pacman/pkg - the package has obviously been
downloaded on Jan, 7th, but it's not found when I'm looking for it with
pacman. Probably sth. went wrong, then. I remember I had a problem with
the power supply some days ago, probably this was at the same time as I
tried to install the uwsgi package; package database may miss the
required entry.

Kind regards

Peter