[arch-general] External monitors are no longer detected (Intel graphics)

Stanislav N. aka pztrn pztrn at pztrn.name
Tue Jul 2 16:25:07 UTC 2019

02.07.2019 12:59, Oliver Jaksch via arch-general пишет:
> On Tuesday, 2 July 2019, 09:46:02 CEST you wrote:
>> On 07/02/2019 01:01 AM, Bennett Piater wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm using a Thinkpad T450s with Intel graphics.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I could no longer connect external monitors via miniDP.
>>> They were not detected at all, either by xrandr in i3 or by sway
>>> (wayland).
>>> I didn't have time to dig out a VGA cable and try that, so I cannot rule
>>> out physical damage yet - I did try 2 monitors with different cables,
>>> both of which work with my wife's Thinkpad.
>>>
>>> Since wayland doesn't make a difference, I'm thinking maybe something
>>> broke
>>> with the (my?) drivers?
>>> Is there any other possibility apart from physical damage, and what do I
>>> try next?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bennett
>>
>> Have you checked the troubleshooting options on
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics. I also recall an intel
>> issue with recent kernels, but can't put my hand on a link. The problems
>> experienced with some are listed in the wiki.
>
> There are *some* issues with intel gpu's and recent kernels. I can't use
> multiple monitors in most of the cases as the i915 module misinterpret
> possible resolutions, for example.

Not only GPUs, but also WiFi cards. Got 8265 on Thinkpad T480 and 5G
speeds are awful. When you're trying to download via 5G network
something big - connection interrupts and won't come back until
NetworkManager is restarted, also there are plenty of errors in dmesg.
All fine on 5.0.x and LTS kernel (4.19.x), only 5.1.x are affected.

--
With best regards,
Stanislav N. aka pztrn.