[arch-general] How to get "b"-menu in Arch i3

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 16 01:44:29 UTC 2019

On 7/15/19 4:35 PM, Shorrer via arch-general wrote:
> 'bmenu' is that thing like shown here?
> https://classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=28824.msg246141#msg246141
> If that's so then I think I've found it.
>
> First, I don't know how things are working in Manjaro, but it seems like
> you guys are using
> our AUR so you should be familiar with the thing or you at the very
> least heard about it.
> If not and if you're interested in how it works then here is some
> quick'n'dirty explanation:
> it is community-provided repository of stuff that is required to create an
> installable pacman package. "Stuff" is mostly a PKGBUILD script that
> 'makepkg' can use
> to create a package (you can learn more at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository)
>
> So, let's get back to 'bmenu'. Seems like we had this package in AUR but
> it was removed.
> Except it actually wasn't and you can still get all the data required to
> create it.
> However, this might not work. After all, the AUR page was taken down for
> some reason...

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2019-January/029452.html

The bmenu package maintainer was also the upstream developer of the
Github repository. Per that individual's request, the package was deleted...

Looking at the PKGBUILD raises a few eyebrows. Why does it pull from
some branch on git -- oh right, developer makes new versions but they
aren't tagged, just pushed to the "aur" branch... what???

As with most things created by Manjaro users, I'm a lot more disturbed
by the script than I am by the PKGBUILD. Try counting the number of
times the "bmenu" script will fall back to running "sudo pacman -Sy
ranger && ranger".

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User