[arch-general] How to name a package for the drm-openchrome tree?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 17 01:00:08 UTC 2019

On 6/16/19 4:21 PM, Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
> On 16/06/2019 21:12, Marc Ranolfi via arch-general wrote:
>> I think it's also possible to have only one package (and two config files
>> 'config.i686' and 'config.x86_64'). But I don't know if that is good
>> practice.
>
> This is definitely possible and the approach Manjaro currently uses for
> `arch=(i686 x86_64)` kernels. I think it's based on the same approach as
> Arch kernels prior to the drop of i686 support.
>
> Personally I'd prefer that approach over architecture-specific packages
> (and which is kind of the point of the `arch` array).

Yes, please. It only makes sense to use the same package name for both,
and all kernels in the official repos and the AUR used this exact
config.i686 scheme up until the official deprecation of i686 from Arch
Linux. Some packages in the AUR still use it.

> As to whether it's current good practice; I'll defer to an Arch dev for
> that.

It's more than good practice -- it is the rules. In order to submit a
package to the AUR, it *must* be useful to Arch Linux. It is the Arch
User Repository, not the Alarm User Repository (ALARMUR?) or Arch Linux
32 User Repository (I give up). If a package is completely useless on
x86_64 and contains an arch=() that excludes x86_64, then I will delete
that package unless someone else beats me to it. See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#arch

That being said, we encourage users who wish to support alternative
architectures to list all arches they support in their PKGBUILDs. For
someone who principally uses i686, this is a no-brainer. :p

(Also: reminder that even though Arch usually has a bit of a rocky
relationship with derivative distros, we are on exceedingly friendly
terms with cpu ports like alarm and arch32.)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User