[arch-general] HDMI Output died over night

Florian Wehner florian at whnr.de
Wed Jun 26 02:08:15 UTC 2019

Thanks so far! Last two mails collected here.

First guess: hardware failure?

> Does the display work at startup? Like does it POST and do you have a boot
> loader?

Not on the external screen. That was what I expected for the UEFI setting “Post on hdmi”.

That could lead to failed port?

> Do you have another device that you could use to check that the cable and monitor are not the issue?

Yes. Tested a TV, and a projector.

> What graphics card are you using and
> which driver?

Whatever is installed by default through pacstrap base

Thanks for pointing that out. I saw that here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Installation

> Are you using UEFI?

Yes. Only. Systems Boot

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 20:03, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 19:07:56 -0400, Florian Wehner wrote:
>> I wasn’t able to get my HDMI output running on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th
>> gen today. I run gnome on Wayland. It has been working fine for the
>> last few days but completely dead today.
>
> Did an update affect anything?

Might be. Mesa just got an minor update a few days ago. But I rebooted successfully at least once after updating.

> I'm using
>  Driver "intel"

Where can I find this info?

> However, the "Multihead" Wiki,
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead, refers to "Related
> articles" for non-Intel.
>
>> Symptom: The external display detects that an HDMI cable is connected
>> (via ground?) but there is no signal.
>
> Maybe no signal, but perhaps just +5 V,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI.
>
>> Here’s what I tried:
>> Switch from wayland to Xorg
>> [snip]
>> Looking at xrandr => Not connected
>
> But xrandr shows one or more disconnected HDMI ports?

Yes. 2 disconnected HDMI ports shown. One cloned with a DP.

—Flo