[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Tue May 21 16:24:09 UTC 2019

1) Feedback:
Tested one computer and it worked fine.
Used refind to boot - it has encrytped /home but not root.
Got text prompt for passphrase not graphical - think there is a way to
get graphical as well but need to read further how to do that. I prefer
text as I also can see the boot progress details which is helpful.
Still, be good to know how to get the graphical prompt anyway.

Created initrd using
# dracut --kver xxx

This seems to contain pretty much everything best I can tell

2) Question:
   Arch typically has used unversioned initrd images which has the
   convenience that the boot standzas don't need updating on new kernel.

Which is preferable way to deal with this with dracut:

1) Unversioned:

   # dracut initramfs-linux.img --kver 5.1.3-arch1-1-ARCH

2) Keep version but link to unnamed:

   # dracut --kver 5.1.3-arch1-1-ARCH
   # ln /boot/initramfs-5.1.3-arch-1-ARCH.img initramfs-linux.img

or perhps soft link (ln -s)?

thanks.