[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue May 21 17:09:25 UTC 2019

Em maio 21, 2019 12:21 Lone_Wolf escreveu:

> from https://dracut.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page :
>

>   * Scripts that end up on the initrd should be POSIX compliant. dracut
>     will try to use /bin/dash as /bin/sh for the initrd if it is
>     available, so you should install it on your system -- dash aims for
>     strict POSIX compliance to the extent possible.
>   * Hooks MUST be POSIX compliant -- they are sourced by the init
>     script, and having a bashism break your user's ability to boot
>     really sucks.
>

> Seems like having dracut depending on bash may not be a good idea.
>
> Or is there a way to make sure dracut scripts & hooks will use bash in
> POSIX-compliant mode ?

If you have dash installed dracut will use it instead of bash. It is *that* simple.
But, I'm not much concerned here about POSIX compliance as I'm concerned about it
actually being a good replacemente to mkinitcpio *and* actually booting the machines
of users.

I based my package on fedora's. So, the dependencies were carefully replicated to avoid
issues. But anyone can hack it later to use dash or busybox.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini